Follow the steps in this guide to help correct performance, crashing or hardware issues with Gems of War on the PC when playing the game through steam.
Note: Please ensure Gems of War of war is closed before doing any of the following.
Verify game files
This process will make sure they're all up to date and correct; and will tell you if anything has corrupted in your installation & repair it.
- In Steam, right click Gems of War in the list on the left (Library)
- Select Properties
- Select the Local files
- Click Verify Integrity of Game Cache
Meet the minimum requirements and updates
The game uses the Unity engine: If you do not meet the minimum requirements for Unity, you will not be able to play Gems of War on your PC. Find the minimum requirements here.
Close the game and properly exit Steam. Next, check the following programs are up to date on your computer:
- Graphics card drivers
- For example, Nvidia released a new driver mid-2017
- If you don't have Windows 8 or higher, download Windows 7
- Update your operating system to Windows 10*
*We realise this is a drastic solution and understand if it isn't possible to try this.
Check graphics card compatibility
If the game is still crashing, it may not be able to find the right compatibility for your graphics card. Try the following:
- Go to Adobe Flash Player here
- Scroll down to "Verify if Flash Player is installed".
- Right-click on the spinning icon, click Settings and make sure "Enable Hardware Acceleration" is enabled
- If this fails, check your graphics card is not listed as incompatible here.
Set launch options
If you are experiencing a black/purple static screen, or if the game crashes after opening continuously, you can try the following at your own risk. Ensure the game is closed before performing the following:
- Open Steam and right click on Gems of War in your Library
- Select Properties > General > Set Launch Options....
- Type and enter "-force-opengl", then click OK and Close the dialogue
If the game continues to crash you can try any of the following texts (after deleting the text that was there before) in the dialogue box:
Send Technical Support a crash log
To find your crash log file:
- In Steam, open Library and right click on Gems of War
- Select Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files
- In the new window that opens, locate and double click on GemsOfWar_Data
- Open "output_log.text"
- Attach this file into your support ticket.
- Learn how to submit a request to support here.