Gem Mastery increases your chances of a Mana Surge every time you match colored Gems. Use your Mana to power your Troops.
Mana powers your Troops - like a form of energy - so they can cast Spells. The Gem colors on the board match the Mana colors required for your Troops. Strategizing so you can create a Mana Surge can make your team very powerful and speed up the battle.
When you receive a Mana Surge you get double the amount of Mana than the number of Gems you matched. Each time you make a color Gem match there is a random chance that there will be a Mana Surge.
Normally, if you match 3 Gems the 3 Mana received goes to the first Troop in your Team or matching 5 Gems nets 5 Mana. With a manage Surge, instead of 5 Mana, you would receive 10.
NOTE: For balancing reasons you cannot get a Mana Surge on 4 Gem Matches.
Gem Mastery directly affects the percentage (%) chance of a Mana Surge occurring for specific colored Gem matches. To increase the chances of a Mana Surge occurring with certain Gem colors, increase your Gem Mastery.
View Gem Mastery in the Hero menu
Use the Hero Menu to view your Gem Mastery points and see where you can increase it in the game. Here you can also see a breakdown of where you're getting the Mastery Points from and the percentage (%) chance you'll get a Mana Surge while matching each color in battle.
Increase your Gem Mastery
Gem Mastery can be increased in a number of ways:
- Hero Level - up to Hero level 1,000 each time you level up your Hero you can increase your Gem Mastery by selecting one of the 2 colors shown to you.
- Hero Class - as you level up your Hero Class with Souls, your Gem Mastery will increase for the color that belongs to that Hero Class - up to level 20 in Gem Mastery. For example, the Warlord Class increases red Gem Mastery
- Guild Statues - Each Guild Statue provides Gem Mastery of the matching color at a 1:1 ratio to the Statue level. For example, a level 170 Blue Statue will provide +170 Blue Gem Mastery to every member of the Guild
- Kingdom Level - Each Kingdom gives up to +10 Gem Mastery for 1 Gem color, or +1 Gem Mastery per Kingdom Level. To see which Gem Mastery a Kingdom will give, select the Kingdom and then select "Kingdom Levels & Power"
- Pets - Some Buff Pets provide extra Gem Mastery. For example, a fully leveled up Snow Bunny will give a permanent +10 Blue Gem Mastery bonus.
Mana Surge Formula
The formula for Mana Surge calculations:
SURGE CHANCE = (MASTERY*0.73) / (MASTERY+62)
This is called a "diminishing returns" formula. As you get more and more Mastery, the increase in Surge chance goes down. For example, 25 Mastery points give about a 20% Surge chance, but if we double that to 50 Mastery points, we now only see a Surge chance of about 32%. In Gems of War, as you gain more Gem Mastery points the chances of a Mana surge dramatically slow down near the end.
Formulae like this are used in games to avoid imbalances for players at the end of the game.
An example of a game that uses a similar formula is League of Legends, with its damage reductions from Armor & Magic Resistance.