Try these steps if Gems of War crashes, freezes or lags frequently on your Android, iOS or Amazon device.
For connection issues, please see this article here.
1. Enable background app refresh
Gems of War requires a constant internet connection to play and can go to sleep in the background if it is left open or you visit another app on your device. After reopening the app again after this it may lag or crash.
- On iOS: Settings > General > Background App Refresh (for both Gems of War and your Settings overall)
- Android 7 or higher: Settings > Network & internet > Data usage > Data saver > If data saver is off, you don't have to do anything. If data saver is on, select Unrestricted data access > Gems of War and enable it.
- Android 6 or lower: Open Settings > Data Usage > Mobile Data Usage or Cellular Data usage > Gems of War > Allow background data usage (if Restrict background data is on, disable it).
NOTE: Settings vary for Android. Ensure "Restrict background app data" is set to off. "Background app refresh" should be enabled.
2. Preventing game lag
You can change your graphic settings down to a lower setting to see if the lag is caused by an issue with your device or the game. When in the game:
- Select Settings (cog icon in the bottom right-hand corner)
- Under Graphics > Quality > Select Medium or Low in the Graphic Quality settings
- Turning animation speed down may also help.
3. Force close the game
Especially if you're on a mobile device, try force closing or closing and reopening the game. This seems basic but it's sometimes all you need to do. For more information on force closing applications:
- On Android: Open Settings > Apps & Notifications > Gems of War > select Force Stop.
If you don't see Gems of War straight away tap See all apps or App info.
4. Close other apps
After the game has been closed, try playing for awhile without other applications open to see if this reduces the severity of the issue.
5. Turn your device off and on
Sometimes all your device needs is a fresh start. This is especially true if you are on a mobile device which is typically less powerful and can easily have a RAM build up.
6. Refresh RAM and clear cache
On an Apple device, you can reset your RAM by holding down the power button until the 'Slide to power off' button appears, then hold down the home button for five seconds. The phone should return to the home screen, refreshing the RAM if done correctly. For more information go here. You can also clear cookies and cache from your browser.
Depending on your Android device, you can open Settings > Storage > Internal Storage > Cached Data. Tap this and confirm to clear the cache. You can also try opening Settings > Apps > Gems of War, selecting the app and the tapping 'Force Stop'. Some Android devices also offer a 'Smart cleaning' option which you can use to remove temporary files and caches.
NOTE: Make sure your account is linked before refreshing the RAM or clearing the cache.
7. Reinstall the game
Ensure your account is linked and you've noted down password before reinstalling. Your account progress is saved to our servers. Linking your account ensures you can access again if it becomes lost.
Generally, Gems of War can be reinstalled by going to the Settings > Apps > Gems of War section on your device and redownloading the game from the Application store. For detailed instructions please see: Reinstall Gems of War on IOS, Android and Amazon
8. Clear storage space on your device
Applications will become sluggish or lag if you have less than 2 GB of free space on your device. Some devices come with 'Smart cleaning', otherwise, you may need to manually uninstall applications, music, and photos that you do not want. Ensure you have backed up media you want to keep.
Article is closed for comments.